Contentment was a great test in Paul's life. After all, God had said he would use greatly, "this is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and kings and the sons of Israel" (Acts 9:15). When Paul first received his commission, "We immediately began to preach in the synagogues, saying that this was the Son of God" (9:20).
Paul was in no hurry to see that all be fulfilled during his lifetime. He knew he had a promise from God immovable and clung to it. Paul was pleased at the site included ministers, a guard, a sailor, a few women on the banks of a river. This man had a world commission, but remained faithful to preach Christ individually.
Paul was not jealous of young men who seemed to pass. As they traveled the world by winning both Jews and Gentiles to Christ, Paul was in prison. He had to hear reports large crowds being turned by men with whom he had to contend about the gospel of grace. But Paul had no envy of those men. He knew that a man surrendered to Christ knows so much lowered as honor, "But great gain in godliness with contentment ... having food and raiment [clothing], and we are satisfied" (1 Timothy 6:6, 8)
The world today might have said to Paul, "You're at the end of your life now. You do not have savings or investments. All you need is a change of clothes. "I know what Paul's response had been:" Oh, but I won to Christ. Let me tell you, I am the winner. I found the pearl of great price. Jesus has given me the power to give everything and take it again. I've given everything and now a crown awaits me. I have only one goal in life: to see Jesus face to face. All the sufferings of this present time can not compare with the joy that awaits me. "
0 comments:
Post a Comment